The Balboa Fire Station (1927) was for years the only governmental building in Balboa. While primarily a fire station it did double duty on Saturday nights as an impromptu holding cell for the numerous citizens arrested for over-consumption of alcohol during the rowdy days of Prohibition. Balboa was pure honky tonk in those days. Today the location of the Fire Station/Police Station is a parking lot adjacent to a public restroom…known at the time as a “comfort station.” It was restored in 1993 as Balboa Island’s active fire station. To commemorate the event, a Parade was born. This parade has become an annual tradition.