Marine Avenue -Downtown, Balboa Island is the main thoroughfare and shopping district for the Island.
In 1924, the narrow bridge to Balboa Island was replaced with two lanes of wood. That bridge existed until 1928, when it was demolished to make way for a concrete bridge. Some of the wood from the old bridge was used to construct the building next to the “Jolly Roger” Restaurant (now Wilma’s) on Marine Avenue. In 1929, a new concrete bridge was built and served for 51 years. The island’s population grew from a little over 100 in 1929 to today’s 4,500 in winter, and close to 10,000 summer renters. In 1981, the existing concrete bridge was replaced with a new, modern concrete structure with 9′ wide walks.